Tuesday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
– WATCH: Before the loan was announced, Raphael Honigstein gave ESPN FC TV his thoughts on the potential James deal.
– Bayern Munich forward Serge Gnabry, who just joined the club last month, hopes to leave on loan to gain more playing experience, and 2016 big-money signing Renato Sanches could be allowed a similar move, chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said on Monday.
– Rummenigge has confirmed that talks with Juventus are advancing over Douglas Costa’s transfer to the Italian club, although no deal has yet been struck.
– Bayern announced that they are taking a star-studded squad for the 2017 International Champions Cup (ICC) in Singapore later this month.
– Meanwhile, PSG are seriously considering making a move to bring in defender Eliaquim Mangala from Manchester City, a source close to the club has told ESPN FC.
MAN UNITED: Romelu Lukaku has completed his move from Everton for an initial £75 million — and sources have told ESPN FC he could yet become the world’s most expensive player if United have to pay all the add-ons agreed.
– EXCLUSIVE: Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku have told ESPN FC that destiny brought them together at United.
EXCLUSIVE: Lukaku has revealed he asked Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s permission before requesting to wear United’s No. 9 shirt next season.
– Jose Mourinho picked Lukaku to fill Ibrahimovic’s boots at United after snubbing the chance to sign Arsenal new boy Alexandre Lacazette, sources have told ESPN FC.
– WATCH: Mourinho still wants to add to his United squad.
EVERTON: Everton are considering a move for Crystal Palace’s former Liverpool striker Christian Benteke after losing Romelu Lukaku, sources close to the Goodison Park club have told ESPN FC.
– Wayne Rooney has insisted that he has not returned to Everton for a “retirement home” and said a desire to continue playing for England played a role in turning down offers to move to China.
– Aaron Lennon is happy to be back in action and has thanked people for their support after he was detained under the Mental Health Act in May.
ARSENAL: Arsene Wenger has rubbished reports Alexis Sanchez has told Arsenal he wants to leave this summer.
– Wenger has said he is still interested in Monaco duo Kylian Mbappe and has “looked at” Thomas Lemar, but there is “nothing concrete” to report on possible new signings.
– Arsenal have given new striker Alexandre Lacazette the No. 9 shirt amid speculation over the futures of both Lucas Perez and Joel Campbell.
– Deportivo La Coruna’s chances of signing Arsenal reserve forward Lucas Perez are “remote,” club president Tino Fernandez has indicated.
– Per Mertesacker has said he is “very happy and very privileged” after being asked to take over as the club’s academy director next year.
REAL MADRID: New Real Madrid defender Theo Hernandez said he felt “no pressure” when completing a move across the Spanish capital from Atletico Madrid, adding that next season’s derbies against a Rojiblanco side including his brother Lucas will not be a “war.”
CHELSEA: Diego Costa has been excused from the start of Chelsea’s preseason training, a source has confirmed to ESPN FC.
– Hull City have completed the signing of Chelsea academy prospect Ola Aina on a season-long loan deal.
– Chelsea were rocked by Romelu Lukaku’s rejection as Antonio Conte searches for a Costa replacement, Mark Ogden writes.
– Guangzhou Evergrande will deny Paulinho the opportunity to join Barcelona until the end of the Chinese Super League season despite the former Tottenham man saying he hopes to push through a transfer this week.
– Sergi Samper has said he hopes to make his mark on the Barcelona first team next season after returning to training with the club.
– Juliano Belletti has followed Ronaldinho and Eric Abidal in agreeing a deal to return to Barcelona in an ambassadorial role, the club has announced.
ATLETICO MADRID: Atletico have overtaken Barcelona and Bayern Munich to move into second place in the UEFA rankings for club competitions.
– Atletico fans’ group Senales de Humo, longstanding critics of the club’s current hierarchy, have launched a legal challenge which could delay plans to move to the Wanda Metropolitano stadium for the 2017-18 season.
HERTHA: U.S. under-20 goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann has secured a permanent contract at Hertha Berlin.
ARGENTINA: Gabriel Batistuta has said that he has “difficulty walking” because of the rigours of his football career.
LIVERPOOL: Dominic Solanke has said he joined Liverpool because the club is a “good place” for youngsters to develop their careers.
– Liverpool have submitted a planning application to turn their Melwood training facility into housing.
AS ROMA: Roma coach Eusebio Di Francesco has criticised new Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah for suggesting Radja Nainggolan will be next to leave the Giallorossi.
SEVILLA: Marseille will have to make an improved bid if they want to sign France international Adil Rami from Sevilla, according to the Spanish club’s president Pepe Castro. Sevilla are also close to a deal for Jesus Navas.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.