Tottenham Hotspur will reject even a world-record bid from Real Madrid for Harry Kane in the summer, a source close to the London club has told ESPN FC.
Newspaper reports on Sunday suggested that Real are prepared to make the striker the first £200 million player at the end of the season but the source said Spurs would not sell the 24-year-old, who has a contract until 2022, for any price.
Real are languishing in fifth in the La Liga table and their front three of Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale, who was prised from Spurs for a then-world record £86m in 2013, have scored 10 league goals between them this season.
Kane has already scored 28 goals in all competitions this term — with 20 of those in the league — and he finished 2017 as the highest goal scorer in elite European football with 56, the first player to outscore Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in a calendar year since 2009.
Earlier this month, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy reiterated that the club would not sell any stars ahead of next season, when the club are scheduled to move into their new £800m stadium.
“I’m 100 percent confident every single player that we want to keep I can assure you will be playing for Tottenham Hotspur next season,” Levy told Sky Sports.
The homegrown forward has previously suggested that he could remain at Spurs for his entire career but, when asked about Kane’s future a fortnight ago, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino said he could not force any players to stay against their will.
Asked what Spurs need to do to keep him, Kane then said: “I’ve always said, just keep progressing, keep getting better. We want to start winning trophies — that’s the aim. As long as the club keeps doing that, then I’m happy here.”
Dan is ESPN FC’s Tottenham correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Dan_KP.