Juventus’ bid to sign striker Patrik Schick from Sampdoria has fallen through, his club announced on Tuesday.
Schick, 21, had been linked for weeks with a move to the Italian champions worth about €30 million after having a medical month, but Sampdoria confirmed that no deal would be forthcoming.
“The clubs Sampdoria and Juventus announce that it was decided, by mutual agreement, not to complete the transfer of the player Patrik Schick,” a statement said, without further explanation.
A day earlier, Sampdoria owner Massimo Ferrero told Il Secolo XIX that Schick was “really healthy,” and slammed reports that an alleged heart issue halted the transfer as a “farce.”
“What they found is equivalent to a cold! If Juventus want to back out, we’ll sell him to one of the other four clubs that are ready to buy him,” Ferrero was quoted as saying.
“I think he’ll eventually go to Juventus, otherwise we’ll take him back and add a nice ‘maybe,’ given his release clause has now expired and we can sell him for not just €30m but possibly €40-50m.”
Udinese’s Jakub Jankto, who played with Schick for Croatia at the European Under-21 Championship, added credence to ailment reports by saying: “I knew he had some minor heart problems, but they shouldn’t be anything serious.”
Schick scored 11 goals in 32 games of his first season in Serie A after joining Sampdoria from Sparta Prague only a year ago for a fee of €4 million.
Juventus also announced on Tuesday that Poland goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny successfully completed his medical ahead of a proposed transfer from Arsenal for a reported fee of €12m, plus €3m in bonuses.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.