Leagues, Partick Thistle, Scottish Premiership, St Johnstone, Story

Miles Storey’s wonderful solo effort moved Partick Thistle off the bottom of the Scottish Premiership after a 1-0 win over St Johnstone.
There appeared to be no danger when Storey collected the ball on the wing, but the former Aberdeen striker showed great pace to beat Joe Shaughnessy and composure to slot the ball past Zander Clark in goal after a mesmerising run.
Substitute Michael O’Halloran had Saints’ best chance but it was poorly executed on a frustrating day for Tommy Wright’s side, who slipped to their fourth defeat in five games.
Thistle might have been bringing up the rear in the Scottish top-flight before a ball was kicked but there was enough evidence from this encounter to suggest they can remove themselves from trouble.
If not from their battling qualities alone then perhaps the moment of quality that Storey showed to put Thistle ahead on 14 minutes.
The striker picked the ball up on the left hand side, drove towards goal, showing Saints captain Shaughnessy a clean pair of heels before dispatching the ball into the bottom corner.
With less than half an hour played, the visitors were dealt a further blow when Stefan Scougall and Brian Easton hobbled off within minutes of each other after failing to recover from earlier challenges.
O’Halloran, who picked up a knock himself midweek against Ross County, and Craig Tanser were on in their place.
Saints provided little in terms of an attacking threat as their play in the final third lacked the quality needed to create an opening.
However, when they did gain a glimpse of goal towards the end of the first half, O’Halloran shot tamely at Tomas Cerny.
The visitors improved on their first half showing and Liam Craig should have made more of the chance which fell to him from David Wotherspoon’s delivery before O’Halloran’s effort was blocked by Thistle bodies.
Steven MacLean replaced Craig after 71 minutes as Saints searched for an equaliser, but at the other end Thistle should have doubled their advantage when Blair Spittal found himself one on one with goalkeeper Clark, who denied him with a decent save.
Saints continued to throw everything at the Jags but they held on for an important three points as St Johnstone went seven hours of football without scoring a goal.

Source link

Products You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.