Kilmarnock, Leagues, Partick Thistle, Scottish Premiership, Story

Kilmarnock put on a show for new boss Steve Clarke as they claimed their first Ladbrokes Premiership win of the season with a 2-0 triumph over Partick Thistle.
The ex-West Brom and Reading manager was named Lee McCulloch’s successor just hours before the Ayeshiremen ran out at the Energy Check Stadium.
And Clarke would have been impressed by what he saw from the Firhill directors box as Kris Boyd and Adam Frizzel netted in a deserved win.
Victory moves Killie off bottom spot but heaps fresh pressure on Jags boss Alan Archibald, whose side now prop up the table without a win from nine games.
With Killie academy boss Paul McDonald in charge for the afternoon, there was plenty for Clarke to be encouraged about.
The lively Jodan Jones came close with the first chance 16 minutes in.
Driving in from the left he ghosted past Milan Nitriansky. His first shot was straight at Tomas Cerny with the winger then pushing the rebound wide.
Thistle were being out worked by their opponents but claimed for a penalty on 33 minutes when Frizzel and Kris Doolan collided. Referee Kevin Clancy called it right, though, as he waved play on.
Jones again proved himself a handful five minutes before the break, this time getting to the byline on the right. Keown should have cleared his cross but thudded his diving header straight into the ground, presenting Boyd with a simple finish for the opener.
When Killie midfielder Alan Power swept over moments later the frustrated Jags support let Archibald know their feelings with a loud chorus of boos.
Thistle left-back Paul McGinn almost raised the mood five minutes into the second period as he bent a shot towards the back-post – only for Jamie MacDonald to respond with an impressive stop at full stretch.
The visitors continued to look the more threatening, though, with Frizzel coming close as he stretched to get on the end of Stephen O’Donnell’s deep cross.
They had two more unsuccesful goes after catching Thistle on the encounter. Jones tried a cheeky back-heel from McKenzie’s cross but couldn’t force it over the line while Nitriansky denied Boyd a second as McKenzie put the ball back into the danger zone.
But there was no stopping Frizzel’s strike as he doubled Kilmarnock’s lead on 63 minutes, lashing a stunning 25-yard strike past Cerny.
Killie lapped up their long-awaited triumph at full-time but Archibald was left in no doubt about the fans’ thoughts as they let rip again.

Source link

Products You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.