The coronavirus pandemic made the summer transfer market unlike any before it. With the window closed across the top leagues in Europe, you can check out the major completed transfers across the globe, and here are the latest rumours.
TOP STORY: Juventus to reignite interest in Aouar
According to Calciomercato, the latter of those clubs will be reigniting their interest in the 22-year-old.
Arsenal were the closest to signing Aouar this summer, but their offer of €35m was not enough, sources told ESPN. The Gunners spent €50m to land Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid and now may not have the funds to return for the Frenchman in January.
Indeed, it is reported that Juventus have already asked about what the Ligue 1 outfit’s demands will be for Aouar in 2021, as they work on a strategy to bring him in.
OK, just to be clear, that’s Fulham’s Timmy Abraham and Liverpool’s Herbie Kane. Not Tammy and Harry.
11.34 BST: A deal remains in place for Lyon striker Memphis Depay to move to Barcelona in January, according to a report in Diario SPORT.
Depay, 26, saw a deadline day move to Camp Nou collapse two weeks ago as Barca could not fit him within their La Liga-imposed salary limit. However, with just over two months until the transfer window re-opens in January, a transfer to Spain remains on the table.
SPORT reports that the personal terms agreed with the Dutch striker remain in place, while Lyon are happy to do a deal in the winter rather than lose him for free next summer when his contract expires. The story doesn’t mention if Barca will look to re-negotiate the price, though. The initial agreement with Lyon was worth around €20m plus add-ons.
To ensure the transfer doesn’t collapse again, Barca will have to make room on their wage bill. Ousmane Dembele and Martin Braithwaite are named as the two forwards who could leave in January.
11.00 BST: Reminder that the domestic transfer deadline is at 5 p.m. BST/12 ET, and there could be some late big-money deals bringing players to the Premier League.
– Liverpool could boost their goalkeeper ranks by signing one-time England international Jack Butland from Stoke City, adding additional backup to Alisson and Adrian.
– Watford forward Ismaila Sarr was linked with a loan move to Manchester United last week, but now seems set for a permanent switch to Crystal Palace.
– Brentford winger Said Benrahma is on the verge of joining West Ham United for £30m, while Leeds United have been trying to get a deal for Norwich City striker Todd Cantwell over the line.
– Tottenham Hotspur should sign Swansea defender Joe Rodon, but Spurs may have to beat off competition from Everton to get Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks.
– Liverpool forward Harry Wilson is set to move on loan to Cardiff City, while Reds midfielder Herbie Kane to Barnsley will be a £1.25m permanent deal.
Colin Udoh says Said Benrahma is too good for the Championship and needs to leave Brentford.
Atletico were given a month to replace Thomas Partey under Spanish federation rules, after Arsenal paid his €50m buyout clause on deadline day — but Marca reports that they can’t afford a €30m move for Levante midfielder Jose Campana.
Campana, 27, made his Spain debut this month and is rated as one of La Liga’s top creative midfielders. But according to Marca, Atletico are unable to invest the Partey money due to La Liga’s spending restrictions and other financial commitments.
Another Atletico target — Valencia‘s Geoffrey Kondogbia — lashed out at his club and president Anil Murthy in an Instagram post on Thursday night over their apparent refusal to let the midfielder leave Mestalla.
“After destroying an ambitious project, you had to mislead the coach and, finally, me. Thank you, Anil Murthy,” Kondogbia said.
Valencia sold a series of key players, including captain Dani Parejo, Francis Coquelin, Rodrigo Moreno and Ferran Torres this summer, and coach Javi Gracia revealed last week that he had offered his resignation over broken transfer promises.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward — whose contract expires in 2022 — has been a long-term target for both president Florentino Perez and coach Zinedine Zidane.
AS claims that Barca presidential candidate Victor Font would like to bring Mbappe to Camp Nou as part of his proposed project for the club, while Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is also keen, but both accept that Madrid lead the race for the €200m-rated France international.
09.00 BST: The transfer window across Europe closed on Oct. 5 but there is an additional, domestic window that continues through to Oct. 16 when clubs will only be able to trade (either loans or permanent registrations) with EFL teams (so not internationally or with other Premier League clubs).
That’s today. So hang on to your hats until to 5 p.m. BST/12 ET.
08.39 BST: Rob Dawson reports on Man United’s transfer window: no Jadon Sancho and no new central defender arriving have fans expecting the worst
It was meant to be a summer of possibilities for Manchester United, but as they prepare for their first game since transfer deadline day, there are again more questions than answers. Top targets missed, holes in the squad not filled, forgotten players still in the squad and growing fan frustration has become a familiar storyline at Old Trafford.
Saturday’s trip to Newcastle was supposed to be the next step of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s new dawn after a largely successful first full season in charge, but instead the future looks more stormy than it should.
08.00 BST: Brazilian orthodontics franchise Orthopride has announced it has unilaterally ended its sponsorship deal with Santos “out of respect for women” after the club signed Robinho this week.
Robinho, 36, rejoined Santos for a third stint this week as a free agent, signing a five-month contract with the Sao Paulo side.
In 2017, the former Manchester City forward was sentenced by an Italian court to nine years in prison for his involvement in the rape of a 22-year-old woman at a nightclub in 2013. Robinho appealed the ruling and no definite sentence has been given, but his signing with Santos this time around has been met with outrage in Brazil.
Gab and Juls discuss N’Golo Kante’s future at Chelsea after reports of a row with Frank Lampard.
PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)
Chelsea may deal out Kante for Rice
If they do that, they may look to move on from N’Golo Kante in order to help raise funds, as he has not completely seen eye-to-eye with Frank Lampard.
AC Milan, Juventus to battle for Sucic
The midfielder has only made two Bundesliga appearances for the team, having been at feeder club Liefering last term, but he is already catching the eye.
Milan had been heavily linked with FC Salzburg’s Dominik Szoboszlai during the recent transfer window, indicating that they are keeping a keen eye out for young talents.
There have not yet been any negotiations, but it has been suggested they could begin in a matter of weeks.
– Norwich City expect Todd Cantwell to stay at the club past the deadline for the domestic window, reports Sky Sports. There had been plenty of interest throughout the summer, with Leeds United among those who had been looking at him. However, the Canaries have not received any concrete offers, so the England U21 international is set to stay at Carrow Road.
– Middlesbrough are in talks with Everton over a loan deal for Yannick Bolasie, reports Sky Sports. The 31-year-old is reported to be keen on a move to the Riverside, having made no competitive appearances under Carlo Ancelotti this term. He has spent the last two seasons out on loan, representing Aston Villa, Anderlecht and Sporting CP.