English Premier League, Leagues, Manuel Lanzini, Story, West Ham United


Former West Ham goalkeeper Shaka Hislop fully supports retroactive bans for diving, following Manuel Lanzini’s two-game suspension handed down by the FA.
Former West Ham goalkeeper Shaka Hislop fully supports retroactive bans for diving, following Manuel Lanzini’s two-game suspension handed down by the FA.

West Ham’s Manuel Lanzini has been given a two-game ban after being found guilty of diving to win a penalty against Stoke on Saturday, the Football Association has announced.

The 24-year-old went down when challenged by Erik Pieters and West Ham captain Mark Noble converted from the spot to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Referee Graham Scott’s decision to award the penalty infuriated Stoke manager Mark Hughes, who is now under pressure following his side’s eventual 3-0 defeat.

Lanzini was charged with the “successful deception of a match official” on Monday and was given until 6 p.m. on Tuesday evening to respond.

He denied the charge but an independent regulatory commission upheld it at a hearing on Tuesday and the ban ruled him out of the Carabao Cup quarterfinal against Arsenal and the upcoming Premier League clash against Newcastle.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, West Ham manager David Moyes said he was “a bit surprised” that Lanzini had been charged.

“The referee was 10 yards from the ball with nothing blocking his vision,” he said.

“It is clear to see the defender makes an attempt to go for the ball and doesn’t get it. From my point of view, they are going against the referee, whoever the panel were.”

Manuel Lanzini had to sit out West Ham’s Carabao Cup loss to Arsenal.

Speaking after the 1-0 defeat to Arsenal, Moyes said: “I’m disappointed because I don’t see much consistency.

“There’s another incident which was turned down. I wonder how they could get to that conclusion where everyone was unanimous on the decision.

“It sounds as if, I’m not sure even in this room that everybody would be unanimous and that was what was said it had to be.”

New this season, a simulation charge only comes when there is clear evidence a player has fooled an official into winning a penalty or getting an opponent sent off, either via a straight red card or second yellow.

Footage of the incident is viewed independently by one ex-manager, one former player and an ex-match official, and they must unanimously agree for a charge to follow.

If the player contests the charge, as Lanzini did, a separate panel hears the case.

Lanzini becomes only the second Premier League player to be charged for the simulation after Everton striker Oumar Niasse was the first to be penalised last month.



Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Kylian Mbappe’s rise for PSG and France has been meteoric but what does his future hold?
Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy undergoes surgery after derby knee injury
FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2018 – News – Video Vault: Kidiaba, Mazembe and a unique celebration
Transfer Talk Manchester United’s Alexis Sanchez eyeing PSG switch
Liverpool’s Divock Origi wanted by Galatasaray in loan move – sources

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *