The Premier League transfer window has closed, but the rest of Europe remains open for business. Plus, it’s never too late to look forward to January! Click here to view the latest transfers and keep up to date with the latest gossip below.
TOP STORY: PSG step up Dybala chase
The twists and turns surrounding the future of Juventus star Paulo Dybala have been well documented, but as reported by Calciomercato, it appears Paris Saint-Germain are in the driving seat for his signature as they aim to solve lingering image-rights issues for the forward.
The 25-year-old has been heavily linked with a move away from Turin throughout the course of the summer transfer window, with Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United being pinpointed as potential destinations for him. However, after both deals fell apart, PSG made it known that they were very interested in bringing the Argentina international to the French capital.
The club’s sporting director, Leonardo, has been in touch with Dybala’s former agent in order to get more clarity regarding the image-rights situation, with the plan being for PSG to acquire his sports rights before gifting the image rights to his family.
23.20 BST: That will do it for the latest edition of our LIVE Transfer Talk blog. We hoped you enjoyed following along with us and remind you to check back shortly for the latest transfer rumours, reports and completed deals. Goodnight!
23.06 BST: If PSG sell Neymar before next week, they will need to find a replacement. Ousmane Dembele and Paulo Dybala have been the most frequent names linked but a new one has emerged: Wilfried Zaha.
The Mirror writes that the Parisians are set to send a delegation to London this week in the hope of making a £100 million swoop for the tricky Crystal Palace winger. Zaha put in a transfer request late in the Premier League window to try and force his way out of Selhurst Park but since then had been expected to stay.
If Neymar to Barcelona ever does get done could the 26-year-old Ivorian be the replacement? Stay tuned…
22.20 BST: After Paul Pogba’s penalty miss Monday and Marcus Rashford’s Saturday, everybody wants to know who will take the next Man United penalty?
One player who will not is Fernando Llorente. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer dismissed reports linking the Red Devils with the free agent Spanish striker. Following United’s 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace, the Norwegian told reporters that the club would not be bringing in any free agents: “We are not looking at any more signings.”
So much for that one…
21.44 BST: Bologna continue to make progress in their move for and combative Besiktas defensive midfielder/centre-back Gary Medel, 32, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
The clubs have reportedly agreed to a fee of €2.5 million but now it is Bologna and Medel that need to come together regarding personal terms. The Chilean, who previously played in Italy with Inter (2014-17), is hot-blooded and would add steel and a bit of bite to I Rossoblu.
20.57 BST: Arsenal boss Unai Emery has confirmed left-back Nacho Monreal could leave before the close of the European transfer window on Sept. 2.
“He made a very big match, he’s a big professional for us,” Emery told football.london after Arsenal’s 3-1 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday. ” We need to speak in the next days. In Europe the transfer window isn’t finished.”
Monreal’s contract is set to expire at the end of the season, with the player linked with a return to Spain with Real Sociedad. Arsenal also signed right-back Kieran Tierney, 25, from Celtic earlier in the window. “With Nacho one possibility is open, we are going to speak about that, said Emery.”
Could the Spaniard have played his last game for the Gunners?
20.09 BST: Could an Aston Villa man be Italy bound?
Italian outlet Il Secolo XIX writes that Sampdoria have made Villa outcast and Croatia international goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic a priority before the transfer deadline closes. The 29-year-old shot-stopper has never got going since moving to England from Genk, and only played eight times over all competitions last season.
With Tom Heaton now in tow as Villa’s new No. 1, Sampdoria are reportedly set to offer the Croatian an escape from Birmingham and make him a backup to Emil Audero.
19.32 BST: It is becoming tougher and tougher to argue that Virgil van Dijk isn’t the best defender in world football. The Dutchman, who almost single-handedly turned Liverpool’s defence around on his arrival, was immense in leading the Reds to the Champions League title in 2019.
While his play has drawn attention from some of the world’s biggest clubs. 90mins reports that the big man is happy where he is, though, and that VVD is set to sign a new contract at Anfield. Van Dijk’s current contract runs until 2023, but the Reds are reportedly set to offer him an improved £250,000 per week when he puts pen to paper on a new deal, a 100% increase on his current weekly wages.
So far Van Dijk has been worth every penny and some since signing from Southampton for £75 million in Jan. 2018.
18.24 BST: Wolfsburg winger Paul-Georges Ntep has signed with Turkish side Kayserispor on a season-long loan.
The Cameroon international, 27, has struggled to find his footing in Germany since arriving in 2017 but will hope a move to Turkey can reignite his one promising career.
17.03 BST: Fiorentina have entered the race to sign Liverpool starlet Bobby Duncan on loan, Sportsmail understands.
The prolific 18-year-old striker has reportedly grown frustrated about his first-team chances at Anfield with Liverpool’s big three, Divock Origi and Ryan Kent all ahead of him in Jurgen Klopp’s pecking order. Duncan, who is Steven Gerrard’s cousin, scored 32 goals last season in Liverpool’s academy. Danish side FC Nordsjaelland recently made a season-long loan offer for the youngster.
16.40 BST: Keylor Navas has asked to leave Real Madrid now that he has been told he will be the backup to Thibaut Courtois so Real Madrid may soon need a new backup goalkeeper.
According to Football Insider, Los Blancos could target an unlikely name. The report suggest Everton third-string keeper and former Netherlands No. 1 Martin Stekelenberg could be the guy. The 36-year-old shot-stopper has not played a league game since 2016-17 but has experience and would come cheap.
Stekelenberg would presumably jump at the proposition of a move… who in their right mind wouldn’t trade rainy Merseyside for sunny Madrid?
16.03 BST: Borussia Dortmund’s Raphael Guerreiro isn’t moving to PSG.
— Jonathan Johnson (@Jon_LeGossip) August 24, 2019
15.13 BST: Dominik Livakovic is apparently on the radar of Manchester United. Not THE Dominik Livakovic, we hear you say. Yes, indeed, the Dinamo Zagreb goalkeeper!
Livakovic, 24, is available for around £20m, says the Sun, and the club are targeted him to replace David De Gea if the Spaniard doesn’t sign a new contract.
Now the Croatian No. 1, taking over from Danijel Subasic, Livakovic has been tracked by Liverpool and Tottenham in the past. Sergio Romero might have something to say about him taking the No. 1 spot at Old Trafford though.
14.30 BST: Great comments from Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino about wantaway midfielder Victor Wanyama, who is reportedly set to join Club Brugge for £9m.
“It’s all about performance. Football is for today and tomorrow, not yesterday,” said Pochettino. “You need always to show that you are there and deserve [to be there]. In the case of Victor, he suffered an injury and another player stepped up and took his place. We are in a team, we are not a charity.”
Backpelling a little bit, Pochettino then made it clear he wasn’t attacking the Kenya international alone. But then managed to do so again.
“I am making clear the answer is not about Victor, but we are not a charity,” he added. “It is about performance and the coaching staff have a lot of different options to play different players.
“I am the coach, I need to take the decision and hope it will be right. Victor is a very important player and, for different circumstances, went backwards. That is the evolution of football and things like that happen naturally at all clubs.”
13.51 BST: Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel has confirmed Neymar will remain unavailable to him until the question of the Brazil international’s future is resolved, despite the fact he is fit to return to action.
Neymar, 27, did not play a minute of preseason football with the French champions amid heavy speculation linking him with a return to Barcelona, or a switch to Real Madrid.
Speaking at a prematch news conference on Saturday, ahead of Sunday’s Ligue 1 clash at home to Toulouse, Tuchel clarified the situation surrounding Neymar.
“Neymar is in better shape,” said the German coach. “He has had a good week with his teammates, working hard, with intensity and a good mentality. “However, the club’s position is clear: while his situation is unclear, he cannot play. If Neymar’s situation became clear tomorrow, then he could play.”
12.40 BST: South Africa women’s national team captain Janine van Wyk has signed a one-year deal with Danish pro club Fortuna Hjorring
12.16 BST: Robert Lewandowski is set to sign a new contract at Bayern Munich next week, which will take him to 2023 — when he’s almost 35.
Kicker reports that the Poland striker is keen to commit his future to the club after they landed Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona this summer amid a host of other signings.
11.26 BST: Rafinha could swap Barcelona for Turkish side Fenerbahce, according to O Jogo. The midfielder, who has just one year left on his Camp Nou contract, had been close to joining Valencia but a move to the Mestalla has failed to materialise.
Barca are open to letting Rafinha leave as they look to lessen the number of midfielders in Ernesto Valverde’s squad. However, he could be needed in a more attacking role this weekend against Real Betis first with Ousmane Dembele and Luis Suarez both missing through injury. Lionel Messi, though, is expected to return from a calf problem.
10.45 BST: Don’t forget to make your own transfers as you pick your team for our Premier League fantasy game! Take on your mates in head-to-head leagues, selecting a team each weekend to maximise points. Here’s how to play the game, and click through to sign up.
10.05 BST: ICYMI – One of the worst transfers in the history of the game continues, as Adrien Silva has left Leicester to join Monaco on loan again.
In August 2017, Leicester spent €30m on Silva but failed to register him before the deadline closed. The club appealed to FIFA, but that failed and he wasn’t allowed to play until January. Then when he was available, the manager didn’t fancy him and he sat on the bench.
In January 2019 he moved to Monaco on loan and, despite a change of manager, Brendan Rodgers’ arrival at Leicester meant he still had no future at the club. Hence the loan move back to Monaco.
When will it all end???
09.42 BST: They could have mentioned this earlier in the transfer window, preferably when the Premier League one was still open, but Juventus are reportedly happy to let midfielder Miralem Pjanic leave.
With Adrien Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey arriving this summer, Pjanic has some more competition and Calciomercato reports that the Italian champions will listen to offers.
The 29-year-old has been one of the stars of Serie A in recent seasons so clubs will be interested … but there’s only a handful who can be now.
09.00 BST: Tottenham once set Christian Eriksen‘s price at £250m. Now they are being forced to recalibrate that estimation as his contract runs down and no interested parties have come forward.
The Daily Mail reports that they will listen to bids in the region of £50m, so as to avoid losing him on a free transfer next summer.
PAPER TALK (by Harry Kettle)
Icardi set for U-turn at Inter?
The past few months have served as a countdown clock for many Italian football fans and media members alike, with report after report suggesting it was only a matter of time until Icardi left Inter. The 26-year-old has been with the club since 2013, establishing himself as one of the most potent goal scorers in the recent history of Serie A in the process.
After being placed on the transfer market by Inter due to disputes between the two parties, Icardi is now said to be interested in remaining at the club despite their intention to cash in on the forward.
However, it is reported that the Italian giants are still open to any and all offers that might come in between now and the end of the transfer window.
Madrid seek Neymar fitness assurances
Real Madrid are still interested in adding Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar, but they want assurances from the French club over the Brazil international’s metatarsal, according to Marca.
The 27-year-old has missed 34 games across his two seasons in Paris, suffering metatarsal fractures both in January of this year and February 2018. Los Blancos reportedly accept that Neymar is a fragile player, but when dealing in sums totalling hundreds of millions of euros, they want to be certain of his fitness before finalising any deal.
PSG are reported to be willing to comply with Madrid’s request to assess the player’s fitness, but have yet to deliver any sort of report to the Spanish capital. Of course, should Neymar be given a clean bill of health, Madrid will then just have the small matter of raising €200 million-plus in order to lodge a bid.
– Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi‘s father has confirmed that they are working hard on a deal that would see him leave the Emirates, the Mirror reports. Gunners boss Unai Emery made it clear earlier in the day that Mustafi’s future lies away from North London following a series of poor performances toward the back end of last season.
– L’Equipe is reporting that AS Monaco are still attempting to persuade Franck Kessie to join the Ligue 1 club, despite an agreement being reached between themselves and AC Milan. Kessie, who was heavily linked with a move to the Premier League at one stage during the summer transfer window, first joined Milan on loan back in 2017 on a two-year deal.