The winter transfer window is closed, but now it’s time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around following the Jan. 31 deadline day.
TOP STORY: Man United, Liverpool eye Arsenal star Saka
Saka, 18, is winger but has filled in at left-back this season following injuries to Kieran Tierney and Sead Kolasinac. His performances in the Premier League have drawn interest from some of Europe’s top clubs as he’s entered the final 18 months of his contract and could be available for a cheap fee.
The England under-19 international reportedly earns around £3,000-a-week but Arsenal are ready to open talks over a new deal to keep the likes of Man United and Liverpool at bay.
09.24 GMT: Boca Juniors have turned down an offer from Minnesota United to acquire their Argentinian midfielder Emanuel Reynoso, according to TyC Sports.
Minnesota United’s bid was considered too low for Boca to accept but the Argentinian outfit has left the door open should the MLS franchise increase their offer for the 24-year-old. The former Talleres player, tied to Boca until June 2022, has scored one goal and set up three more in 15 league appearances this season.
08.55 GMT: Getafe president Angel Torres has opened the door for Barcelona to sign their Spanish forward Angel Rodriguez as an emergency transfer. Torres says that despite rumours, Barca have not made an approach to lure Rodriguez to the Camp Nou but if they did, it would be difficult to stop them.
“I have a good rapport with Barca but right now no one at Barcelona has contacted me,” Torres said to Catalunya radio. “There have been a few names circulating but I’ve told him (Rodriguez) to continue to work, score goals and be calm…whatever has to happen will happen.”
Barca have lost forwards Ousmane Dembele and Luis Suarez to injuries, and they are seeking the approval of La Liga and the Spanish FA to sign an emergency replacement for Dembele. Rodriguez, 32, has experience in La Liga and has scored nine goals and set up two more in 20 league appearances for the Madrid outfit. The former Zaragoza player is tied to Getafe until June 2021 and has a €10m release clause.
“Who wouldn’t like to go to Barcelona?” Torres said. “The club has to be prepared for this. It’s not an issue of the release clause but one where I cannot deny a player that has given us so much and has had a spectacular performances, the opportunity to join, a big club. The price would not be an obstacle.”
08.28 GMT: Chelsea have a verbal agreement to to sign Ajax forward Hakim Ziyech for €45m, sources have told ESPN.
The Morocco international is the first signing coach Frank Lampard has made since joining the club in July. Chelsea were under a transfer embargo and then did not make any signings in the January transfer window.
While a deal has been agreed, the transfer window has closed so it will be the summer before he joins the club. The club have been interested in the 26-year-old for a while and had to compete with interest from other London clubs Arsenal and Tottenham.
Sources have told ESPN that Ajax successfully negotiated a new contract with Ziyech in the summer, which removed a €30m release clause.
08.00 GMT: Bayern Munich turned down a request from Manchester United to take midfielder Corentin Toilsso on loan in January, kicker reports.
While only a fringe player at the Allianz Arena, the Bundesliga leaders were not willing to allow the 2018 World Cup winner a move to Premier League. Despite Tolisso only making 15 appearances — 11 as a starter, completing the full 90 minutes only six times — in all competitions in the first half of the season, Bayern felt they needed him to remain in their relatively thin squad.
However, despite having a contract until 2022, Bayern Munich will likely not turn down another approach for the 25-year-old in the summer as they plan a squad overhaul. So far in 2020, Tolisso has only come off the bench as a late substitute twice and — barring serious injuries for the likes of Thiago Alcantara, Leon Goretzka and Joshua Kimmich — will not get much playing time for the Bavarians.
PAPER TALK (by Shaun Reynolds)
Liverpool to enter race to snap up Sancho
Amid interest from Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid and Barcelona, runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool are now set to enter the race to sign Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, according to the Mail.
The report states that Liverpool have expressed their desire to bring the 19-year-old English forward back to the Premier League this summer. Dortmund are expected to demand at least £120m for the teenager.
Liverpool begin their club-record kit deal with Nike this summer, a brand with which Sancho happens to have an endorsement deal.
Chelsea keen on Birmingham’s £50m wunderkind
Chelsea are keen to try and snap up 16-year-old Birmingham City midfielder Jude Bellingham for a fee that could rise as high as £50m, the Sun reports.
The mind-boggling sum could be required as the report states that Bellingham is being watched by Real Madrid and Barcelona with Manchester United also interested.
Bellingham has made 28 appearances for Birmingham this season in the Championship and scored four goals, performances that have led to him being touted as the best English talent since Wayne Rooney.
Chelsea and Manchester United’s pursuit for Sancho won’t be impacted by their quest to land Bellingham, the story suggests.
Barca prepare for shock Neymar return
Neymar could complete a sensational return to Barcelona this summer, with club president Josep Maria Bartomeu ready to make sacrifices in exchange for the Brazilian’s services, according to Spanish newspaper El Confidencial.
The report suggests that Bartomeu is willing to sell one or two players to finance Neymar’s return to Camp Nou. The 28-year-old left left the club to join PSG almost three years ago for a world-record €222m fee.
During his four seasons with Barcelona, Neymar scored 105 goals and registered 76 assists in all competitions. His exceptional goal-scoring record was helped by his partnership with Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi. But injury has hurt his progress in France.
There is no indication in the report regarding how much Bartomeu would be prepared to pay to return Neymar to the Catalan capital.
– Serie A side Brescia could be about to enjoy a whopping payday after the club valued teenage midfielder Sandro Tonali between €55m and €60m, amid interest from Juventus and Inter Milan, according to Calciomercato.
– Barcelona will again push to sign Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez this summer, following interest less than 12 months ago, according to Calciomercato, with Ousmane Dembele‘s injury history being a factor in the Catalan club’s pursuit of Inter’s frontman.